The parish of Chobham was divided into three areas the North, West and Chobham itself, our village has always been called West End. [Its worth noting that for the 1831 census Chobham Parish was divided into four, Valley End, East End, West End and Folley End and until late in the 20th century part of Sunningdale was still in the Parish of Chobham]. This name first appears in 1680 on a County map of Surrey and was spelt as Westend until circa 1920.

In the late 1800s West End was mostly surrounded by lowland heath with views across the common towards Frimley. Buildings were concentrated around Fellow Green with shops and the Post Office established around 1860 until the late 1800s at the White House in Lucas Green now 124 Guildford Road, next to this on the south is 126 and then West Side. By 1919 the Post Office and most of the shops and were concentrated in Brentmoor Road, west of the Hare and Hounds, the High Street and South of the Wheatsheaf along the road to Bagshot and Guildford. William Brooker, aged 46 was listed in the 1881 census as a Beer seller at the Wheatsheaf. Close by was Holy Trinity Church and the Church Hall. The Institute was built in 1886 and the Gordon Boys Home in 1887. A further selection of small shops were scattered around the village.
The village green also known as the Cricket ground was opposite the Hare and Hounds formerly known as the Titch Tavern in Brentmoor Road. The Whitsun fair was held their at least from the early 1800s until the early 1960s, the site is now a nature reserve. In 1947 a new Recreation Ground was built on Streets Heath which initially covered seven acres, half its present size, until being extended in 1974. Prior to this development Street's Heath was a valuable "wetland".

Development at Donkey Town commenced in 1815 following the signing of an agreement by the Lord of the Manor the Right Honourable Earle Onslow. From the late 19th century, house building gradually increased and the first Council houses were built in Church Road 1917. Birch Lane was developed in 1930s, Meadow Way in 1946 and in the same year, 4 buildings, Swedish Style prefabricated buildings, [a gift from the Swedish Government?] were erected in Fenns Lane {known as Holly Ridge] as part of a Council building program. Apparently this method of building is currently being reinvented as an economic and green method of construction, followed by Common Fields, Sefton Close, Jenner Drive, Benner Lane, Barnsford Crescent and Willow Green in the 50s and 60s, plus many other smaller developments around West End. Gosdens Farm was demolished circa 1998 to make way for the Nursery Green Estate which was built on the site of the farm and Surrey Rose Nurseries.

In 1762 there were at least 65 buildings in West End. By 1921 239 households with a population of approximately of 1400 and by 1992 there were 1100 dwellings in the village, increasing to 1713 by December 2008.

The figure for 2008 broken down to Council Tax bands is as follows, Band A 16, Band B 37, Band C 87, Band D 284, Band E 581, Band F 440, Band G 251, and Band H 17. There is now the possibility of another 400 houses in the near future bringing the total to over 2100.

Businesses' in West End have changed with the times. Up to the mid 19th century farming was the predominate industry. As this declined, some turned to dairy farming, chicken farms, market gardening and to growing Rhododendrons and evergreens leading to the establishment of many nationally known plant nurseries. Sadly by the end of the 20th century most of these nurseries have closed. There are two garages in West End one selling fuel and food the second has a repair workshop and car sales showroom. By the beginning of the 21st century many light industrial units have become established in and around West End and two small office blocks have been built, most West Enders now work outside the village.

Search

West End Village