Prepared by J E Smith West End History Project
Evidence of Bronze Age occupation has been found including four barrows on New England Hill. Recent excavations during the construction of the M3 motorway revealed a minor Roman road which is thought to go through Turf Hill Park to Worplesdon and Farley Heath. In 666 AD Erkanwald, Bishop of London built the Benedictine Abbey at Chertsey and much of West End's history is linked with this Abbey. In 1065 Edward made a grant of Windsor and Staines and all surroundings to the Abbey of Westminster but this was given to William the Conqueror as a hunting ground and the Royal Forest of Windsor came into being, which included Chobham and West End.
Being close to London the 16th, 17th and 18th century's century saw a great deal of development in West End. An early map of 1748 shows a small concentration of buildings around Fellow Green. By 1762, 65 houses and barns are shown in West End. After the Napoleonic Wars, Donkey Town began to be developed. In 1879 most of West End Common was enclosed by the Army. West Enders lost their common rights and many ancient timber framed buildings were demolished. Demolition of older buildings in West End continues to the present day. There are 52 listed buildings in West End of these 23 are Grade II and 25 are Local.
- Next >>